Religious buildings - conformism and non-conformism.
St. Peter's in 1808 was "a handsome, cruciform medieval church with rood screen and carved stalls", but much of what's now seen dates from an 1827 rebuild.
St. Peter's Church.
The first Graig Congregational Chapel was built in 1789 and Titus Evans, one of its members, set up Machynlleth's first printing press in that year. Even some of the district's villages had not just their own church, but chapels of rival denominations as well.
The Tabernacle is a renovated neo-classical Methodist chapel of 1880, that together with adjacent buildings is home to the
Museum of Modern Art Wales. The chapel itself acts as performance space, with pews kept as seating, and here the annual Festival is centred.
Tabernacle, Penrallt Street.
Door detail - handles by Ann Catrin Evans.